Program Officer - Gender Identity, Policy and Advocacy Project
About OutRight Action International
Founded in 1990 and guided by the values of collaboration, depth and feminism, OutRight Action International strives to help lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) people live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. OutRight focuses its efforts on supporting organizations to effectively document human rights violations and advocate for the rights of LGBTIQ people. OutRight ’s vision of change includes policy reform, legal challenges, increased coalition work, and stronger LGBTIQ communities worldwide.
About the Position
OutRight seeks a Program Officer - Gender Identity, Policy and Advocacy Project to lead gender law, policy and advocacy initiatives in the region as part of OutRight’s Caribbean program. This is a part- time position (3 days/week) for the duration of the project (approximately one year), with some potential for extension.
Reporting to the Senior Advisor for Global Advocacy, the Program Officer - Gender Identity, Policy and Advocacy Project serves as an expert on OutRight’s work supporting efforts to come to legal gender recognition and strengthening the trans movement and activism in the Caribbean. The position will play an important role by both working directly on program activities and communicating about them. The chosen candidate will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with transgender advocacy organizations to identify and pursue advocacy pathways for the advancement of legal gender recognition in the Caribbean
- Support the strengthening of the Caribbean trans movement through capacity building efforts with pre-identified networks and/or organization(s)
- Identifying and developing collaborative relationships with key stakeholders in the Caribbean among community organizations, civil society, media, different levels of government, private sector and others, who are working for, or are supportive of legal gender recognition in the Caribbean
- Recruiting experts, when needed, to support all programmatic goals
- Representing OutRight in conferences, meetings and events relevant and appropriate for the program, its goals and the organization as a whole.
- Managing all aspects of the research activities of the program, including the production of valuable resources and presenting data-driven expertise to OutRight activist partners, OutRight staff, donors and other key stakeholders
- Supporting other tasks, as assigned related to the design, development, implementation and promotion of OutRight’s Caribbean program or the organization as such.
- Proven multi-year, minimal 4 years, experience in advocating for transgender human rights and strengthening transgender organizations/movements in any part of the world
- Previous work experience on trans rights is a strong asset for this job.
- Excellent political judgment and understanding of national and regional political dynamics in the Caribbean, international institutional frameworks and how they relate to the national processes
- Superior interpersonal skills, in particular ability to build meaningful relationships with institutional and other partners.
- Capability to take initiative, to plan and work independently, while being a strong and dependable team player; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong English writing skills are essential.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals and priorities that are consistent with team strategies; adjusts priorities as required; conscientious and efficient attention to meeting organizational commitments, deadlines and results
- Passion: Deep knowledge and passion about international trans? rights
- Must be willing and able to travel for work (COVID-restrictions permitting).
How to Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position, a resume/CV, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Gender Identity Program Officer in the subject line.
The position can be based anywhere in the world.
OutRight Action International is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Trans, nonbinary and people of color are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates will be contacted. Please do not call.
Deadline extended: January 31, 2021
Published on December 22, 2020 | OutRight Action International an LGBT human rights organization