23 March 2021
Women’s Rights Caucus to Hold Press Conference at the Close of the 65th UN Commission on the Status of Women
The Women’s Rights Caucus (WRC) is a global coalition of more than 200 feminist organizations, networks and collectives that advocates for gender equality at the United Nations.
The UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) is the largest annual global gathering on women’s rights and a critical touchpoint in the global fight for gender justice. This year, CSW is virtual as the world continues to reel from COVID-19 and its subsequent economic and humanitarian crises. Organized on the theme of “women in public life: equal participation in decision-making,” CSW serves as a crucial platform to recommit to removing barriers for women’s full participation in all aspects of political, economic, and social life and decision-making structures. To this end, ensuring the participation of civil society and feminist activists, and inclusion of key asks in the agreed conclusions adopted at the close by member states, is foundational to a successful CSW and to ongoing progress for gender equality.
The WRC is holding a virtual press conference at the closing of the 65th Commission on the Status of Women to comment on the proceedings; provide analysis on the outcomes, the achievements and missed opportunities; reflect on the role of civil society in the CSW; and highlight the importance and impact of commitments made by governments at the CSW.
Friday, 26 March, 2021
10am PT/ 1pm ET / 5pm GMT / 6pm CET
Please register for the virtual press conference here.
Simultaneous translation will be provided in French, and Spanish.
Moderator: Shannon Kowalski, Director of Advocacy and Policy, The International Women's Health Coalition
- Sahar Moazami, UN Program Officer, OutRight Action International
- Maria Antonieta Alcalde Castro, Country Director, Ipas Mexico
- Mishy Singano, Program Manager or Memory Kachambwa, Executive Director, FEMNET | The African Women's Development and Communication Network
- Marevic Parcon, Executive Director, Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights
For questions or concerns please contact:
- Daina Ruduša, OutRight Action International, email@example.com, +1 (917) 622-1865
- Michelle Chasteen, International Women’s Health Coalition, firstname.lastname@example.org, (+1) 212.801.1277
- Shiphrah Belonguel, Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights, email@example.com, + 63 (2) 9287785
- Noreen Fagan, Ipas, firstname.lastname@example.org, (+1) 919.945.4357
- Rachel Kagoiya, FEMNET, email@example.com
OutRight Action International works at a global, regional and national level to eradicate the persecution, inequality, and violence lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer (LGBTIQ) people face around the world. From its offices in 7 countries and headquarters in New York, OutRight builds capacity of LGBTIQ movements, documents human rights violations, advocates for inclusion and equality, and holds leaders accountable for protecting the rights of LGBTIQ people everywhere. OutRight has recognized consultative status at the United Nations.
Published on March 23, 2021 | OutRight Action International an LGBT human rights organization