Public Policy Fellow - Washington, DC
About OutRight Action International
Founded in 1990, OutRight Action International strives to help lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) people live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. Working from its offices in 7 countries and global headquarters in New York City, OutRight documents human rights violations, helps resource LGBTIQ movements and allies, and advocates for the rights of LGBTIQ people.
About the Position
OutRight currently seeks a Public Policy Fellow - Washington, DC. This is a paid full-time position for the duration of the project (12 months). Reporting to the Director of Law and Policy, the Public Policy Fellow seeks to advance the inclusion of LGBTIQ rights in US foreign policy. The position is ideal for someone who understands and is passionate about the inner workings of change in Washington DC.
- Collaborate with civil society organizations to achieve greater US government support for LGBTIQ people around the world, including during long-term and emergency situations.
- Provide educational resources to US government officials about LGBTIQ rights globally.
- Research and write policy briefs about LGBTIQ rights in specific countries or on specific themes.
- Represent OutRight in advocacy and coalition meetings.
- Ensure all project objectives are met efficiently, on budget and on time.
- Travel as requested by OutRight
- Assist in with relevant fundraising efforts.
- Conceptualize this new role and develop project priorities.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- Proven successes contributing to national advocacy campaigns
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or in a relevant agency preferred
- Deep knowledge of administrative and legislative processes
- An ability to leverage relationships to meet advocacy goals
- An understanding of and passion for LGBTIQ human rights in a global context
- Exceptionally self-disciplined and self-motivated
- Able to work alone and remotely
- Advanced training in a relevant field (preferably Master`s degree or equivalent)
- Must be able to work in Washington, DC and be willing and able to travel for work.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate well with a
- variety of stakeholders
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position, a resume/CV, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to “Public Policy Fellow - Washington, DC” in the subject line.
OutRight Action International is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, transgender/gender-variant individuals, and individuals from the Global South are encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates will be contacted. Please do not call.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 30, 2021
Published on June 7, 2021 | OutRight Action International an LGBT human rights organization