LGBT rights activists and organizations in Istanbul need your support and solidarity more than ever.
We are sincerely concerned about the levels of police brutality and the use of crowd control technologies the public is being exposed to in Istanbul. As you may have followed on social media and some international channels and newspapers, for close to three weeks, as LGBT block in solidarity with several different groups and organizations, we have been resisting to defend our right to peaceful assembly. Since the last 1st of May, Governor of İstanbul effectively closed Taksim area to all kind of marches and peaceful demonstrations by brutally attacking protestors.
Our next big events, Trans Pride March on June 23rd and LGBT Pride March on June 30th in Istanbul are threatened under current circumstances. These two events bring together thousands of LGBTs and allies in Istanbul and we are concerned for our safety. For detailed information about the last three weeks of resistance in Turkey, click here.)
What can you do to support us?
- You can spread our call among your contacts.
- You can participate in both of our marches and invite your friends and colleagues.
- You can send protest letters to the Turkish Embassy in your own country claiming your concerns about the safety of LGBT activists in the coming Pride marches. Download a sample letter here.
- You can show your solidarity for our cause carrying the logo of our resistance during your own pride marches Resistanbul Pride March. Click here for the graphic.
- You can organize press declarations in front of Turkish Embassies in your cities. Please share your pictures with us!
Published on June 26, 2013 | OutRight Action International an LGBT human rights organization