For Immediate Release
Monday, November 30
Global Transgender-Intersex Human Rights Defenders Media Briefing in NYC - December 9, 2015
International Transgender and Intersex Human Rights Defenders Speak Out at NYC Media Briefing
(New York) – OutRight Action International, the LGBTIQ human rights advocacy organization, will host a media briefing with global transgender and intersex human rights defenders on Wednesday, Dec. 9 in New York City. The advocates from Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa will speak on the theme of “Rights, Restrictions and Realities of Transgender and Intersex Human Rights.”
Human rights issues concerning gender Identity are at the foreground of today’s LGBTIQ efforts to achieve full dignity and equality for all people. The human rights advocates and experts who will speak at the briefing are participating in a week of LGBTIQ advocacy meetings sponsored by OutRight Action International at the United Nations. They represent advocacy groups and individuals from the Global South as well as Australia and Russia.
The briefing will be followed by a Q&A. Afterwards, one-on-one interviews will be available with the advocates and OutRight’s regional experts, based around the world.
- What: Media breakfast with global LGBTIQ activists and NGO leaders in NYC
- Who: Advocates from Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa, Russia and Australia
- When: 9 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 9
- Where: McDermott, Will & Emery, 340 Madison Ave., between 43rd and 44th streets, 2th floor
Immediately after the breakfast, journalists will have an opportunity for one-on-one interviews with the activists and OutRight regional experts.
To RSVP for the breakfast or to schedule an interview at another time during the week, please contact Suzanne Trimel, strimel@OutRightInternational.org, 212-430-6018.
The week of advocacy wraps up on Saturday, Dec. 12 with a daylong conference OutSummit: Pushing the Boundaries of Global LGBTIQ Activism, which brings together approximately 100 international and U.S.-based activists for panel discussions and workshops on rights relating to sexual orientation, gender identity and intersex issues.
Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera, the celebrated Ugandan activist who was NYC 2015 Pride grand marshal, will give the keynote address.
Other OutSummit speakers include:
- Rev. MacDonald Sembereka (Malawi - Global Interfaith Network);
- Gloria Careaga (Mexico - ILGA);
- Mark Bromley (USA - Council for Global Equality),
- Morgan Carpenter (Australia - Organization Intersex International);
- Mauro Cabral (Argentina - Global Action for Trans* Equality);
- Natasha Jimenez (Costa Rica - MULABI);
- Miram van der Have (Netherlands - OII Europe);
- Julia Erht (Germany - Transgender Europe);
- Monica Tabengwa (Botswana - Pan-African ILGA),
- Ryan Silverio (Philippines - ASEAN SOGIE Network)
Press coverage is welcome. Please visit: www.OutSummit.org for details.
Published on November 30, 2015 | OutRight Action International an LGBT human rights organization