The global COVID-19 emergency presents tremendous challenges to LGBTIQ people, especially in places with deep poverty and weak health systems or government infrastructure. When a crisis hits “everyone,” the most marginalized become even more vulnerable. LGBTIQ people in many parts of the world cannot count on governments or relief organizations for help.
As OutRight's research report, “ Vulnerability Amplified,” has revealed, in too many places, LGBTIQ people have less access to healthcare in the COVID crisis, were hit hard by unemployment and food scarcity, or saw their already thin margins disappear. That is why OutRight Action International launched the COVID-19 Global LGBTIQ Emergency Fund to provide direct support where it is most needed and in solidarity with LGBTIQ organizations and people on the frontline. By the end of 2020, the fund had disbursed 1 Million USD to 125 organizations based on the call for proposals launched in April 2020. Almost a year into the pandemic, we know that needs are still urgent and immediate in many parts of the world. Therefore, we are proud to open a new call for proposals.
In this round, OutRight can provide grants that can be used for urgent needs that have arisen as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis, but with a focus on these areas:
- Food scarcity, medium- and long-term livelihood generation, and poverty reduction.
- Movement resilience: core support for LGBTIQ organizations that are threatened in their existence due to immediate loss of funding linked to Covid.
- Combating violence: the pandemic spurred a rise in cases of gender-based violence, domestic violence, and family violence as recent data is showing. Mental health support could be considered as well.
- Human Rights violations documentation: from reports we know that governments have used the COVID-pandemic to violate the human rights of LGBTIQ people. Projects to document these human rights violations will be considered for funding.
Your application can focus on one of these areas or be a mix depending on your context and circumstances. OutRight recognizes that needs are different from community to community and that local organizations know best what the immediate needs are. The grants that we provide are from $5,000 up to $20,000.
To be eligible for a grant, organizations must work directly with and for LGBTIQ people (including MSM groups, trans groups, LBQ groups, and intersex groups), and be based outside the USA, Canada, the European Economic Area, the UK, Switzerland, Australia or New Zealand. Unfortunately, OutRight cannot issue grants to individuals.
To apply for a grant, please fill in the application form available here (link). The call for Applications is open until April 16, 2021. The application forms are available in Arabic, English, Bahasa Indonesia, French, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. We will start reviewing grant applications immediately after the closure of the Call for Proposals and aim to issue the first grants 4 weeks after that.
If you have any questions about the fund or its purpose, please contact Paul Jansen, Senior Advisor for Global Advocacy, email@example.com. If you would like to donate to the fund, you can donate online.
>> Application form (available in the 7 languages)
Fund descriptions in other languages
- English: ABOUT THE FUND
- Spanish: SOBRE EL FONDO
- French: PROPOS DE CE FONDS
- Portuguese: SOBRE ESTE FUNDO
- Bahasa: MENGENAI DANA HIBAH
- Arabic: المعلومات الأولية
- Russian: Про фонд
Terms and Conditions
- English: Terms and Conditions
- Spanish: TÉRMINOS Y CONDICIONES ESTÁNDAR
- French: TERMES ET CONDITIONS STANDARDS
- Portugese: TERMOS E CONDIÇÕES PADRÃO
- Bahasa: SYARAT DAN KETENTUAN STANDAR
- Arabic: هذه الوثيقة مهمة. تحدد الشروط والأحكام للمنح. سيتم إرسال هذه الشروط والأحكام لكن/م مع خطاب التقديم وتنطبق على جميع المنح.
- Russian: Условия и Положения
If you're having trouble filling in the application due to Internet access, you can preview the questions offline at the following links. Use the application questions list to prepare your responses before going online to submit them.
- English application
- Spanish application
- French application
- Portugese application
- Bahasa application
- Arabic application
- Russian application
Published on February 23, 2021 | OutRight Action International an LGBT human rights organization